Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Let my words be few...






When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.~Proverbs 10:19

A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding
 is even-tempered.~Proverbs 17:27

 Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words.~Ecclesiates 5:2-3

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.~Proverbs 18:21


This is what I'm learning lately. This is what my sweet & patient God is teaching me. Lord knows I have always battled "my mouth" & been way guilty of the overuse of words! In light of these scriptures I am often reminded & my spirit quieted...I hear over & over inside "let your words be few".

When I wake up in the morning & I am tempted to allow the drama to affect my day...I quietly hear "let my words be few".

When I'm tempted to get lippy with my husband over a disagreement let me be reminded "let my words be few".

When I find myself crossing the line when discipling my sons let me be aware "let my words be few".

When I find myself caught up in a godless conversation give me the strength to step away & remember "let my words be few".

At work when I may see something I deem unfair let my prayer be "let my words be few".

You see my opinion is fleshly & often times sinful. I don't need an opinion about everything & better yet I don't need to share it with anyone who will listen. We all have an opportunity every day to release words from our mouth. To build up or tear down. To encourage or to crush. To be quite honest my words aren't necessary or useful unless they are going to be used with the right heart & in the right time seasoned with love. Truth is I grew tired of eating my words when they were negative & hurtful and desired to be apart of what God is doing! I desire to be the the woman described in 1 Peter 3:3-4 "Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."....let this be said of us all ladies. Let His way become our way no matter the cost, no matter the situation, no matter what!


In HIM,
Katie

6 comments:

  1. Visiting from Into the Word Wednesdays. Appreciate this reminder. Reminds me of Psalm 19:14 - "Let the words of my mouth... be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you stopped by! Great scripture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you, it is hard sometimes to keep my mouth shut and not express my opinions, but often times I am foolish in what I say. I need to remember to think before I speak. Thanks for the reminder...and the conviction :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO with you!!! SO WITH YOU!! Something I need to learn especially with my kids each day. I get short and ill tempered and man...i don't want to be "that mom". NO WAY!!!! Thank you for your words today! So happy you linked up @ Into the Word Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that--let my words be few. I think that includes the words we write. I've been saddened by some of the posts on facebook--written to wound the hearts of others. I always ask God to help me think twice before I speak. I've found that second time stops a lot of unnecessary words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela, I too have felt held back from posting things that aren't edifying or encouraging on facebook. I'm thankful that the Holy Spirit reminds me in those times because in a moment of weakness our flesh fights to dominate.

    ReplyDelete