Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fear not little flock….



I feel compelled to write about fear more so because of the recent weather & the fear that has been evoked in the heart of man in this region. There was quite a bit of severe weather yesterday but the forecasters are amped & warning us all for much worse today. While I appreciate the warnings & will take appropriate measures to ensure our safety I will not be letting anxiety, fear, or doubt control me & my prayer is that you won't either. My first thought about fear is always this scripture "For God has not given us the spirit of fear(refers to a disposition of the mind) but the spirit of Power and of love and of a sound mind(self-control)"2 Timothy 1:7 I read that verse to say that my God, my creator, the one who knew me in the womb & even before then did NOT I repeat did NOT give His people a spirit of fear. Think about this for a moment with me Your heavenly Father designed & intended for you to have a mind that not only operated in power but in love & ultimately self control. I looked up some of the Greek translation of the words in this passage & was excited to see that the word power in this scripture means "a spirit of strength, meaning manly vigour in opposition to a spirit of cowardice." I almost feel like the spirit behind some of these storms is strongly lead by fear. Then I imagine God asking me if I trust Him. I can only think in my own human understanding the example of a parent & child. Would you as a parent ever leave your child alone in a storm? To face it & experience it alone? Well heck no!! So why then despite what happens would the Lord let those who call out to Him as children think that we needed to fear? I believe it's because it's our nature to try & figure it out on our own. But today I encourage you to talk to your Father, God about all this. Refuse to be lead by anything less than the still calmness of a loving Father who has your good at the root of everything that happens. Jesus didn't come to prevent anything "bad" from happening in our lives He came so that He might walk with us through them. Truth is I can lose my home, my car, my life & ultimately it's all good because my Father is God. He set my life into motion 33 plus years ago. He has never failed me yet & He won't any of His children. He is faithful, He is faithful, He is faithful….I can not say that enough. Today do not allow words of fear to direct your conversations today. Speak to God, let Him know your concerns He understands them & I know without a shadow of a doubt will replace them with peace only He can give. Encourage your children to breath easy, to not fear. We are teaching valuable lessons to them through our response to such chaotic activity in our fallen world. Pack a bag, know where you will seek shelter if the need arise but above all include the Lord in your planning He longs to lead you. There is safety, peace, and joy found in His shelter.


So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matt 10:31 NIV

I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27 NLT

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3 NIV

They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. Psalm 112:7 NLT

But the Lord watches over those who fear him, those who rely on his unfailing love. Psalm 33:18 NLT

Tuck these scriptures away in your heart, repeat them out loud if anxiety which is rooted in fear, tries to attach itself to you. Take this time if you're a parent to talk about God's protective power, His love, and how important it is to trust Him for everything including the weather. I hope & pray this speaks to someone & by the power of the Holy Spirit you are at peace today & into tonight. It is said that the phrase "fear not" is in the Bible 365 times, I'm thinking one for every day of the year.

Rest, trust, and abide

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment